SPECIFICATIONS FOR RETRACTABLE AWNINGS
a. The intent of this specification is to achieve uniformity of design, installation, features and color for retractable awnings.
b. All retractable awnings must be installed with a motion sensor for auto-retraction when wind gusts are detected.
c. Awnings must also have a manual option for retraction if the electricity is out.
d. Awnings are permitted to cover a portion or all of a balcony or a 1st level patio at the sliding glass doors. No awnings are permitted over windows.
e. The awning may be of variable width to conform to the installation options of covering one, two or three sliding glass entry doors.
f. The awning will normally be fastened to the reinforced concrete lintel over the sliding doors of the patios and balconies.
g. Mounting awnings on the fascia trim is prohibited.
h. The maximum open position of the awning is 8’ 3” – the preferable length is 6’ 8”
i. For most installations, the awning motor will be plugged into the existing exterior outlet. Hardwiring the motor connection is permitted.
j. A front valance with a straight edge and binding is required.
k. A front bar drop valance is not permitted.
l. Side panels are not permitted.
2. PRODUCTS AND MATERIALS – the product must meet these specifications, or equivalent:
a. The fasteners must be stainless steel screws design for reinforced concrete installations, or other standard fasteners for other attachment options.
b. The covering of the awning must be acrylic canvas fabric – 9 oz. The color and fabric style of the awning must conform to these specifications.
c. The model/style/framework of the awning must be compatible with the Senesta Sunlight model for 20’ widths and smaller, and the Sunesta Sunstyle for >20’.
d. The framework, hood and other hardware must be white.
e. The front valance must be the straight edge design with beige colored binding.
f. Awnings installed on townhouse 2nd floor balconies, and for the 1-bedroom units that have a sliding door facing the bay without a balcony overhead, must have a hood installed.
g. The design of the awning and installation must be a standard design of the company or one designed by a licensed engineer.
3. APPLICATION AND APPROVALS:
a. The application to the Association for a retractable awning must include the following:
b. Upon completion of the installation, the installer must provide written details to the owner describing the fasteners used and method of fastening the awning to the condo unit.
c. After the installation is complete, the Association Board reserves the right to do a post-installation inspection to assure what was approved is what was installed, and the installer’s warranty of installation must include correcting discrepancies. An obvious way to avoid post-installation work is to bring any problems to the board’s attention before modifying the installation.
4. CONSTRUCTION & INSTALLATION:
a. All installation work must be executed by a licensed and insured contractor.
b. At the time of installation, the Board requires a certification from the installer that the unit is properly installed into the lintel or other structure. The installer must give the owner the specifics of the installation details and assuring it meets the manufacturer’s requirements.
c. Some cable TV wires and covering may need to be rerouted – the unit owner is responsible to coordinate this work and pay for it.
d. During the course of work, all debris and material must be removed from the premises and carted away by the installer. Care must be taken to not damage the building and grounds – any damage must be repaired immediately.
1. For awnings 20’ in width and smaller, the Sonesta Sunlight Retractable Awning System or equivalent must be used. The frame for this system has a 10 year warranty.
2. For awnings 20’ up to 30’ in width, the Sonesta Sunstyle Retractable Awning System or equivalent must be used. The frame for this system has a 12 year warranty.
3. Owners may cover 1, 2 or 3 sliding glass doors on their balcony or patio, utilizing 1, 2 or 3 individual awning systems to do so.
4. The awning material must be 9 oz. acrylic canvas – warranty for 10 years.
5. The color of the canvas fabric is Sunesta #314 921 or equivalent, with a valance that has a straight edge and a beige binding #322 033 or equivalent.
6. The motor is warranted for 5 years.
7. The color of the framework and hardware will be white.
8. A valance with a straight edge and binding is mandatory.
9. The standard projection [opening] dimension is 8’ 3” maximum, with 6’ 8” the nominal standard – they can be opened to any lesser amount at the owner’s discretion.
10. All installation must have wireless remote control and auto sensors to close automatically if wind gusts are detected, and also equipped with a manual retraction capability in the event of a power failure.
11. Installation on the condo units must be uniform – BSG I & II have 4 distinct unit styles with 5 awning options:
To return to the HOME page, click HERE.
To go to the top of this page, click HERE.